Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 ----> 2007

Ok, so the past coupla years have really sucked.
I was laid off from a very good job at a large company due to a corporate buyout. 2nd time in 10 years.
This 2nd time was the worst for a few reasons.
#1 At the age of 43, for the first time in my life, I had a job I loved. A boss I loved. Decent co-workers. Good pay. etc...
#2 The job situation in Ohio just downright blows. So much so that it doesn't matter how many years experience you have or how many certifications you have, if you don't have that college degree, you are totally fucked.
Or, you have to drive into the big city to work. Which means leaving the house at 7 a.m. and returning around 7 p.m. or later.

So, emotionally I went into the toilet. You wonder why my posts are so negative and depressing? lol Trust me, my life is not always negative and depressing.

After a few months of the job search and realizing that without a college degree, my 20 years experience and a few certifications were going to get me about $15 an hour (which I know is not "bad" money, but I was making $25 an hour) and a discussion with the husband, we bit the bullet and I enrolled at the local university.
Going to college was also a good idea because I "really" needed the break from corporate america. After give my "all" to 2 corporations and working my way into decent success, just to be thrown out with the rest of the "numbers", I was ready for a break. I currently have NO desire to go back to being a cube monkey.

So I'm in my 2nd year of college and doing pretty good. I work on campus.
I love it.
Our credit has gone in the toilet and been flushed. We are unbeeeeelievably broke. The house is falling apart. The cars are falling apart.

I'm determined to make 2007 better than the last 2 years.
Things are still going to suck like the money and this middle aged realization crap thing that is going on, but I'm determined to "adjust".
We have our health, a roof over our heads, food in our mouths and love.
We don't have 2 big incomes. Money to burn.
We have the essentials to survive. I just need to "adjust" and that is what I am determined to do this year.