Monday, November 03, 2008

Early Voting

The hubby and I decided to go early vote last nite since the mucous monster had me bed ridden all weekend with a death grip on a bottle of nyquil.
I tried to go before work yesterday morning, but the line was over a block long 1/2 hour before it opened.
We got there at about 5:45 and again, the line was all the way down the front of the building, which is an old shut down builders square building, so it's pretty huge. We were prepared to wait a few hours.
We "thought" the line outside was the worst of it. hahahaha
Found out that was the easy part.
We were only outside about 15 minutes. Once inside the fun began. 3 hours and 15 minutes of standing and sitting and waiting. Some folks had been there going on 4 hours.
They passed out clipboards to fill out while outside in line, which helped the process. Come to find out they were processing 1000 voters an hour. They had processed over 4000 voters on Sunday and close to 10,000 yesterday.
I didn't like it, but I did it. A small price to pay to attempt to change the world.
My husband, whom is VERY quick to get VERY cranky from lack of food (we left our dinner 1/2 cooked to go vote) and had his knee replaced in May (my knees hurt from standing, so I KNOW his did) didn't complain. He brought up the fact that there are countries where you risk your life to vote and people do it anyhow, because it is THAT important.
We decided it was a pain in the ass to wait that long, but at the same time, it was AWESOME, in every sense of the word, to see that kind of turnout.
We took our 14 year old, so he could experience the process and this historical event. He was less than thrilled with the wait and grumbled a bit. But once we got our ballot and hit the booth, I think he was a little excited. I told him "we did it...we helped to change the world". I think he actually had a look of pride.

No comments: